Hello all,

 I've been watching the postings for a few weeks.  I thought perhaps
someone would mention this article (so I wouldn't have to write and ask,
perhaps, a dumb question).

In the February issue of Reader's Digest there was an article titled <Foods
that Boost Your Moods>  which was condensed from Ladies Home Journal.  On
page 42, under the heading <Turkey> the article says: (begin quote)

        This low-fat protein source is rich in an amino acid called
        tyrosine, which boosts levels of the brain chemicals dopamine
        and Noreprinephrine, and in turn improves motivation and
        reaction time.  U.S. military research has indicated that
        tyrosine lifts energy levels and helps the body to cope
        better with stress.

        Other research has shown that protein rich foods can offset
        the tired feeling that may result from a high-carbohydrate
        meal...(those) who ate the high-carbohydrate lunches reported
        feeling tired two hours after eating, while the balanced
        eaters reported no feeling of fatigue.

        A turkey sandwich or turkey noodle soup may produce the
        same results.  Effective alternatives to turkey are tuna
        and chicken.
        (end quote)

My husband and I are still struggling with various definitions and symptoms
and medications...trying to decipher the do's and don'ts.  If I understand
correctly,
the reason for David's symptoms is that his brain doesn't produce enough of
the chemical dopamine...and he takes Sinemet CR 25/100 3x a day to
counteract that.

Does turkey produce dopamine?  Would eating it help PD...or the depression?
Or does diet provide too little to be useful to a PD patient?  I could find
a thousand ways to cook turkey...:)

And what about what we have read on the PD list about protein interfering
with medication (sinemet, I think)?  If turkey produces the same chemical
as the medication supplies, it just doesn't make sense.

Another question I have is how do you know whether you are taking enough
medication?  Or the right one?  From what I have read, the difference
should be noticeable.  I, personally, see very little (if any) difference
in David after he takes the medication.  His leg may drag less.

David was diagnosed in October, 1995.  His symptoms are on his left side:
no arm swing, dragging his left foot, skin below eye sags, shoulder pain.
He has experienced very small tremors once in a while and thnks he may have
had an hallucination.

David was diagnosed by Dr. Perlmann here in Birmingham and got a confirming
diagnosis by Dr. Atchison at Kirkland Clinic here.  We are discussing
whether to return to Dr. Perlmann, a neurological diagnostican,  or change
to Dr. Atchison, who specializes in Parkinson's.  It seems that many of you
have input into what medications you take and how much.  We are concerned
about what we have read about sinement having a limited time of use and
wonder if David should take something else before progressing to sinement.
Dr. Atchison told us sinemet is the <gold standard> when it comes to
Parkinson's medications.

We'd love to hear what some of you think about these topics!

Brenda Moxley
& David Moxley  51, 5 mo.