Last week I realized  that there is a topic I have not seen as yet on our
digest-
i.e. those of us who live alone. This group of PDers have an additional set of
needs. As an example-I lost my wife to cancer 2.5 yrs ago after 50years
together. Being 73 and having pd for 12 years it is likely I will continue to
live alone even though I enjoy an active life style. I do have two dear
friends- a lovely
gracesful whippet dog nnamed Chantal and a graceful siamese cat named Anouk
Amiee-but herein is a problem I suspect many others share-I have fallen three
times on the same side in the last 30 days-so far I have been lucky -just sore
hip joints and a bump on my hard noggin.But what if next time it is at home or
at a lonely spot outside? Ii is possible to lie there for days-who will
take care of my friends (Chantal and Anouk)? The point is there are
preventative steps those who live alone can take that should help-and
hopeffully this
wonderful caring group can suggest other ideas.
Here are my first thoughts:-.1-.Get a telephone that can be set up with a
single button to call 911, -last week I fell on the stairs-it is easier to
crawl to a phone
and press 1 button then to dial a number.-2-have a phone on each floor-3-If
ill
ask a friend to call you once each day (this month a friend living alone
became incoherent and her life was saved by a daughter visiting)-3-always
carry with you a short list of phone numbers of closeby friends or neighbors
including those who have
a key to your home, list medicines, list pets etc.-4-I f you have an alarm
system memorize the code to send an alarm-frequently two keys give a silent
alarm-most central stations list neighbors w/ keys..Other ideas???
What percentage of the PD group live alone? 20% ? 50% ? 80% ??
Thank you for listening-Rob Cushman ([log in to unmask])