Robert--the problems of safety (and many others) for those living alone
are real.  One soultion might be to  check with your local resources
such as hospitAL, SENIOR CENTER, COUNCIL ON AGING ETC. ABOUT  SERVICES
WHICH PROVIDE ONE WITH (oops, sorry) a device that can be rented and
worn--sort of like a beeper--that rings at the hospital, police, etc.if
you press a button. You supply a list of maybe 3 names/numbers to  be
alerted in case you signal a need for help, and the service tries them till
one is reached. Many older persons,not with PD, use this in our community.
There is a monthly charge, I think perhaps under $10. Might be worth looking
into. There were 2 men in our support group here who lived alone--one has
just moved to a nursing center, the other has nis own apartment and friends
who check on him.  There's also a program that makes daily "reassurance
calls" to homebound people, run by volunteers through a local social
agency here. Hope you find something--your ideas are a good place to start
but you might want to look further too. Good luck!
Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter.76/6+yrs, Oxford,OH