Hi everybody,
     I just wanted to give you a short progress report on Stan's post-op
period.  We can't believe that the symptoms are mostly gone.  I think I am
waiting for the time that he gets frozen or I see the dyskinesias start
again, but it hasn't happened.  We have lived with this for many years and I
guess you expect things to return to 'normal'.  This wonderful change will
take some adjustment  and getting used to.   The only thing I have noticed
when it is time for his next dose of meds is that he seems more tired, a
little less alert, and  less active  - but there is no on/off  at all .  His
gait has returned to what I remember as normal for him. He has said to me
that  EVERYTHING is better.  We really have to pay closer attention to the
medication schedule than we did before - it was so obvious when it was time
for it before that we didn't have to think much about it.
     Stan is very tired right now  and has time limited energy, but  no pain
or discomfort anywhere -  even where the incision is.  I have noticed
however, that his voice, which was hard to hear before, has become even
softer and  difficult to understand sometimes.  I am hoping that this will
improve with time and healing, but I have read on this List that several
people have had speech problems following this surgery.  Would these people
tell us about the nature of the speech problems?  I wonder if it is similar
to Stan's.  Does anybody know why there might be speech problems following a
Pallidotomy and if they are always there or resolve with time?
     It has been only six days since the surgery but he looks terrific.  We
went for a 15 minute walk today because he wanted to get out and will try to
extend it a little every day.
     Take care!!

     Susan Hamburger  CG for Stan 61/14+ yrs