Patricia,

Yes, I have been in touch with the state retirement people, and a
disability retirement would give me 90 percent of a full service
retirement, which I wouldn't get for another 10 years anyway.  The catch
is that I must retire before applying, then what happens if I don't get
it?  I guess I'll get a lawyer and appeal, since three doctors have told
me I qualify.

You're right about your service retirement being a pittance; I'd suggest
waiting until your neurologist will fill out the forms for you and you're
quite sure you qualify for disability.  Good luck.

Pat