dear rachel
your note is not depressing.  my mother was diagnosed  with PD in aug of 94.
 she is 86 and lived on her own until july of 95.  side effects of sinemet
(atamet) caused her to become paranoid and have halucinations and we were
fortunate to get her a residence for assisted living with facilities for
dementia residents.  all was well until she was hospitalized for a femor
fracture and she went off the deep end.  during her hospital stay they gave
her haldol which helped her greatly.  she was almost her old self (per PD).
since her return to her residence and a complete recovery of the fracture,
she is doing very well and is back on her regular meds.  good luck in your
decision about nursing care.

M. McGovern