David:

My wife had a colon resection on Jan 24, came home on Feb 1, and back to the
hospital with intestinal blockage on Feb 8, and is coming home today (likely
in 12 hrs) barring any complications.
Prior to surgery, the surgeon consulted with the neurologist and  the primary
physician on how to deal with all the medication.  First, I provided the
medication (NO generic) and a printed dosing schedule.  She had no oral food
intake for well over two weeks since Feb 24; she  got all her medications
(glusose, saline, Zantac, heparin, etc. by  IV, BUT NO PD medication.  Post
surgery, she was able to swallow her Sinemet and Permax with a minimum of
water.  With the blockage, NOTHING by mouth;  the Sinemet, Permax, and other
medications were ground up in a mortar and pestle, slurried with a little
water and pushed into the NG (naso- gastric) tube with a 50 ml syringe, and
rinsed with an additional bit of water.  Since I had worked as a
pharmaceutical chemist, I was able to show the nurses how to do that.  And
that worked fine, except the one time when an intern prescribed a shot of
Phenergan and Barb was spaced out for the day.
THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE THE DOCTORS AGREE ON PROCEDURES, ON
MEDICATIONS AND DOSAGES AND  MOSTLY HAVE THE NURSING STAFF ADHERE TO ALL THE
INSTRUCTIONS AND TIMING.

And also after reading two hours of this bulletin, I'd like to sleep for a
couple of weeks.    Good luck.

Michel