Subject: Smoking and PD
Date: 15 Feb 1996 08:08:05 GMT

From: Brian Symonds  <[log in to unmask]>

Our internet server was down for repairs over the last few days, and although
supposedly no messages were lost, I know I did not get the listserv messages
for a few days. I wondered if anyone had posted the following information.

In an artile by Susan Jimison in the Weekly World News, a study by Dr. David
Morens of the University of Hawaii School of Public Health has suggested that
"Smoking can stop the development of Parkinson's disease". Dr. Morens has
been quoted as saying that his study showed that, "When you look at people
who smoke, and people who don't smoke...you find those who smoke cigarettes
are about half as likely to get PD". Dr. Moreau also is quoted as theorizing
that there is something in cigarette smoke that stimulates an enzyme to break
down brain chemicals that cause PD, and "the protective effect also appears
to shield smokers from the development of Alzheimers". Dr. Morens is also
quoted as saying, "Overall cigarettes are bad for health. But if something in
cigarettes is protective, we might find helpful chemicals or clues to a
biological process by studying this further". (ie, Dr. Morens needs more
research dollars!).

Without having seen the methodology of this study, and considering the
complexity of the part of the brain that is associated with PD, I suspect
that it is very premeature to claim that there is something about smoking
that protects from PD and Alzheimers and wonder if Dr. Morens was quoted
correctly (although it some rare circumstances smoking does have a protective
effect, eg in asbestos workers and their risk for lung cancer from asbestos).
Since there are over 8000 known chemicals in cigarette smoke, even if there
is some protective effect, it may take a long time and a lot of research
dollars to ferret out what is causing the effect, and what the effect is. In
the meantime, since smoking is a major cause of diseases that lead to
disability and death, not smoking or quitting smoking is extrememly important
for everyone, including those with Parkinsons.