In message <[log in to unmask]> Parkinson's Disease - Information
Exchange Network writes:
> Does anyone have information from the U.K. study indicating that users of
> Deprenyl had a higher mortality than non-users. My main resons for taking it
> are
> due to its lack of serious side-effects as well as the claims made for its
> contribution to longegevity. I also find it very beneficial for extending my
> on-time and controlling tremors. Any feedback will be appreciated.
I don't have any info re the UK study on longevity and eldepryl, but I do have
another kind of experience to report. About 5 years ago, when eldepryl was first
introduced, my wife (PD for about 5 yrs.at that time) was placed on it. She felt
great ---- at first. We were somewhat slow to notice that she had completely
lost her appetite. She lost a total of about 30 ls. and has never really
recovered the weight or appetite, despite our constant attempts to increase
caloric intake.

Among the matabolic products of eldepyl is methamphetamine - "speed" - which can
account for both the "feel good" and the appetite loss. I believe there is some
loss of enthusiasm re the "sparing" effects of the drug. Good luck. Bob

Bob Howard, occasionally formally known as
Robert B. Howard
e-mail  [log in to unmask]
1320 Wisconsin St. #411
Hudson, WI 54016