In message <[log in to unmask]> Parkinson's Disease - Information
Exchange Network writes:
> Hello,, everyone!
>
> My name is Lisa, and I am a Speech-Language Pathologist.  I treat many
> patients with Parkinson's Disease, but my interests for joining are far more
> personal.  My grandfather has been displaying depression and swallowing
> difficulties for some time. I have been making recommendations, and he was
> under care for the depression, but it wasn't having tremendous results,
> despite many medical trials.  He went to a Speech Pathologist (he lives in
> Florida, and I in Maryland) who documented concerns like "hand tremors" and
> "shuffling gait."  I had not seen these.  I was pretty sure of the Diagnosis,
> which a neurologist just confirmed days ago.  It is quite hard for me,
> because his biggest symptom, aside from depression, is swallowing
> difficulties, which is my specialty!
>
> A am looking for "words of wisdom" and suggestions and tips to pass along to
> my grandparents.  I am looking for medical suggestions, and advice from those
> who have personally experienced PD.  I have already started on the Neurology
> Web site, and perused the internet offerings, but I have lots to find yet.  I
> wish I had known that Depression was common in over 50% of PD, and frequently
> a first symptom.  I have a lot to learn, but thank goodness, I know a lot,
> too.
>
> Anyway, please tell me who is out there, and about this list.  Any helpful
> hints are great!!
>
> Lisa ([log in to unmask])
Welcome, Lisa  I sympatihze with you. My wife has had PD for 10+ years and has
severe gait problems, severe dyskinesia, and a peculiar throat/face pain. She
also has some swallowing difficulty. One thing that helps is taking her Sinemet
as half-tablets and placing them in either fruit yogurt or apple sauce. This
seems to help a lot.
 Good luck   Bob H

Bob Howard, occasionally formally known as
Robert B. Howard
e-mail  [log in to unmask]
1320 Wisconsin St. #411
Hudson, WI 54016