At 09:22 PM 2/16/96 -0500, you wrote:
> Have you shared your illness with your work?  I have not and am confused
as to whether I should............
>Patricia

Hi Patricia,

I've seen comments about this before so you're not the only one debating this.
I'm 47, with PD for 6 years.  My primary symptoms are severe tremor on my
left side, problems walking, depression, and numerous side-effects from the
cogentin/eldepryl/sinemet regimen I'm on (nausea, difficulty in
concentrating, fatigue, memory fade, difficulty in driving, etc.)  I manage
a small, family run (not my family), manufacturing company.  My father (also
PD) worked for a large multinational company as a sales manager.  Both of us
have had similar experiences - namely that we both informed our employers
early on, and in each case were supported (or at least tollerated) SO LOMG
AS WE REMAINED PRODUCTIVE.  Both of us experienced symptoms which
contributed to a decline in our ability to perform all our pre-PD
activities, but were both fortunate in that our jobs allowed us to become
progressively more office/desk bound.  I've been able to negotiate the
transfer of some of my duties to other employees, and assumed other
responsibilities to fill in.  I have not as yet experienced any negative
comments, or actions from my superiors, but I have had problems from
subordinates who have taken the opportunity to use my PD as a reason to
oppose daily decisions.  I've heard a lot of "you wouldn't have
acted/decided/ spoken/reacted (etc.) this way before the PD!"  My
performance evaluations have seemingly been unaffected by my PD, and I've
made no attempt to hide it.  I've had to make some adaptations - different
computer keyboard, broad-tip markers instead of ball-point pens,
speakerphones, and a headset instead of a regular telephone handset.  One
potential source of trouble may turn out to be insurance - although I
haven't been denied benefits yet on my company plan, my private insurer has
denied me policy changes/increases because of PD.  I'm fortunate that I took
the opportunity to enrole in my wife's plan before I was diagnosed.

I think the key (so long as the company has some flexibility) is
productivity.  No company is a charity; and as a manager, I know that my
company doesn't "owe" me a job.  So long as you can adapt and be productive
my experiences have been positive; but I also recognize that I'm no longer
on "the fast-track".  Each case is going to be unique, and how you react,
how you manage PD will have a lot to do with how you are accepted.

Hang in there!

Charlie Anjard
                         Always remember:

  When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
        that the original objective was to drain the swamp!!