Joe Bruman

        Wishing to know more about the  geography  of the brain and how it all
fits together launched me upon my own independent study of the neuroanatomy of
the brain.  Based on my study I would offer the following in response to your
query.
        Fetal cell transplants are placed in the striatum never in the substantia
nigra.  The  striatum is a sub-category  of the basal ganglia.   The striatum
includes the putamen, caudate nucleus and the nucleus accumbens.  The basal
ganglia meanwhile includes the striatum plus the globus pallidus.
        The thalamus lies medial (toward the center of the brain) and ventral
(below) the caudate nucleus).  The putamen lies lateral (toward the  outside of
the brain) and ventral to the caudate nucleus.  The globus pallidus (site of a
Pallidotomy ) lies ventral to both the putamen and the caudate nucleus.
        The substantia nigra as part of the midbrain along with the red nucleus
and the reticular formation lies ventral (beneath) the basal ganglia and  dorsal
(above) the pons and medulla oblongta.
        The best suggestion I could make would be to get yourself a book on
neuroanatomy and draw pictures representing where the various parts of the brain
lie in relationship to one another.  There are also plastic life--size models
available by which you can take the brain  apart and see exactly where one part
is in relationship to another.  They are very expensive however, like $400.

Don

Dr. Don Berns
4943 Del Monte Rd.
La Canada, CA 91011