This message is to reiterate the importance of personal
visits to our representatives. I have written a number of
times to the congressmen in the western NY area and either
received no response or a noncommittal "thank you very much
for your views" answer. Most of our legislators here are
conservative, balance the budget at any cost Republicans.
My own congressman , Bill Paxon would not meet with me,
although I ddid get to speak with his aide. However,
yesterday we met with Congressman Jack Quinn of Buffalo.
We gave him all the facts about PD, the economic impact,
the promise of an impending breakthrough, and mostly how
it has affected me and my family. After about 15 minutes
he agreed to co-sponsor, and also volunteered to help
me get to speak with Paxon directly.
  At first, I really didn't think I'd be able to convince
anybody. Now I see that if people are given all the facts,
and can come to understand the great personal toll PD has
on us and our families, it is very likely they will become
supportive.
    It also helped to give him a list of other Republicans
in the House and Senate who are co-sponsors. He remarked
that he "saw alot of my friends on this list."  Let's
hope this list gets alot longer over the coming months.
Linda Herman