Rich Thompson

You wrote:
>Thanks so much for your response to my posting. I am a little curious about
>your recommendation to evaluate levodopa use. The common medical wisdom
appears >to be hold off initiation of the drug as long as possible,
especially in light >of my tender years (41). With my symptoms at a level
where I can still >accommodate them, and with so many years (God willing)
that I will need to >continue functioning, it would seem that holding off is
prudent.

>I look forward to your comments.

What's the opinion of you experienced PDers?

        The question you raise is a  both very important and a tricky one to
answer conclusively.  Having been diagnosed at age 33, I faced a similar set of
questions.  At present it is my belief that one should only go without sinemet
as long as one can function effectively with a minimum amount of problems.
However, once beginning on sinemet I also believe it is important to regulate
oneself with the minimum dose possible rather than overdosing.
        My experience has shown that those who begin on very high doses of
sinemet in an attempt to relieve all  discomfort, perhaps prematurely shut down
and accelerate the decline of their own dopamine production. Furthermore they
accelerate the timeline by which they will experience those diabolical
dyskinesias which usually come around 4-6 years after being on sinemet.
        Having said this I have heard Dr. Iacono say repeatedly that the greatest
amount of damage done to the  Parkinson's patient occurs when he/she is in the
*off* state rather than the *on* state.

Don

Dr. Don Berns
4943 Del Monte Rd.