On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, MARTI EIERMANN wrote:

> The Feb. issue of The Harvard Mental Health Letter had a brief article about
> the similarities of the stimulant drugs methylphenidate (Ritalin) and
> cocaine.  The interesting part was that both inhibit the reuptake
> (reabsorption) of dopamine at the same receptor sites in the same regions of
> the brain.
>
> Of course Ritalin is indicated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
> in children.  Does anyone know if Ritalin is indicated for PD as well, or
> has any information to share about this drug in PD?

My father is in the final stages of PD and the doctors prescribed Ritalin
for him because of his attention defecit problems.  The Ritalin seemed to
help a little and also kept him awake more.  But he started having severe
blood pressure problems and they took him off it.  I don't think it was
because Ritalin was the cause of his low blood pressure, but they didn't
want Ritalin to exacerbate the problem.

If Ritalin inhibits the uptake of dopamine, do you think that Ritalin
would interfere with PD meds?

- Rachel ([log in to unmask])