> Good morning all>
> My father-in-law (88) fell two weeks ago. He has been in terrible pain
> all this time (wife (82)didn't think he needed to go to hosp.--she could
> take care of him). We found out about this and got to his doc. and he is
> now in hosp--2nd day--with a fractured vertebra as it turns out. This is
> not good, because even before the fall, he couldn't get out of bed or
> really turn over without help. He needs to go to the bathroom several
> times a night. Here is the problem: His first night in the hospital, the
> attendant (nurse?) would not put a diaper on him even though he asked,
> the urinal was out of reach, his bell wasn't answered, and so he wet the
> bed of course, and then didn't get a sitz bath until late in the day.
> This is bad. I am getting all this via his wife, who seems angry he is in
> the hosp. I talked to her yesterday. What I want to do/ want to hear
> opinions, experiences on this --is arrange for a private nurse to spend
> the night/day with him in the hosp. to help him. Also to get them used to
> a good person/nurse who would help them when he comes home. (the
> situation as it existed before the hospitalization is not acceptable.)
> Also get my mother-in-law some help/ etc. but that is another story.
> My sister-in-law flew down to Sarasota to make things work, so there is
This is a very distressing situation that needs to be brought to the
attention of the hospital floor supervisor.  Any patient has a right to
request any aid that they believe necessary for their personal care. No
one had a right to refuse your father-in-law a diaper.

Home health care needs or extended care facility needs can and should be
addressed through social work services at the hospital.  Indeed, your
father-in-law should not be discharged until you are satisfied that his
health care concerns  have been adequately addressed.

Now, here's a problem.  If your mother-in-law is of sound mind, she is
legally in charge of all extended health care planning.  If she does not
want your father-in-law to go to an extended care facility, you will not
be able to have him placed there.  Hopefully, the social worker at the
hospital will gather the family together to discuss all concerns so that
the family will be able to work as a team in deciding what plan will work
well for all concerned.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann