>From:         Don Berns <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      When to begin sinemet?
>        The question you raise is a  both very important and a tricky one to
>answer conclusively.  Having been diagnosed at age 33, I faced a similar set of
>questions.  At present it is my belief that one should only go without sinemet
>as long as one can function effectively with a minimum amount of problems.
>However, once beginning on sinemet I also believe it is important to regulate
>oneself with the minimum dose possible rather than overdosing.
>        My experience has shown that those who begin on very high doses of
>sinemet in an attempt to relieve all  discomfort, perhaps prematurely shut down
>and accelerate the decline of their own dopamine production. Furthermore they
>accelerate the timeline by which they will experience those diabolical
>dyskinesias which usually come around 4-6 years after being on sinemet.
>        Having said this I have heard Dr. Iacono say repeatedly that the
>greatest amount of damage done to the  Parkinson's patient occurs when
>he/she is in the *off* state rather than the *on* state.
>
>Don
>
>Dr. Don Berns
>4943 Del Monte Rd.
>La Canada, CA 91011
>818-790-8812

Don:

The last statement you attribute to Dr. Iacono really raises my curiosity.
Do you suggest that the implication of the statement is that untreated time
between diagnosis and first use of Sinemet is more damaging than immediately
commencing proper use of Sinemet after diagnosis? Or do you interpret this
statement as only referring to the *off* state encountered after start of
Sinemet?

Rich Thompson