                                 RTK.NET Mail 128070   Feb 28 20:23:08 1996

I am on another mailing list which has a gateway to a usenet group, and a
similar set up may work well for this group.  It will probably drastically
increase the volume of messages, however, and there will be a lot more
irrelevant messages (like ads for gadget and bizarre diets).  There will
also probably be more, not less, messages posted that were meant to be
sent to the individual, not the group, and more messages that quote long
messages with only a "yeah, me too" at the end.

But the most annoying feature is the timing of messages.  Some people will
see a message the day it's posted, while others may get it five days later.
On the other group, I will often see a response to someone's message
days  before I see the original.  This often leads people to assume the
message they sent never made it to the list, inspiring them to send it
again so everyone ends up seeing the message 4 or 5 times.  These can be
painful realities for those who get the list in digest form, and those of us
who can't subscribe to usenet groups may be sorry the group made the switch.

Sherri