The NY Times reports today, Thursday, February 22nd,  "researchers at the
Brookaven National Laboratory in Upton, L.I., have found that the enzyme MAO
B is 40% less active in smokers, suggesting that dopamine levels would
presumably be somewhat higher."

"The finding is of interest because dopamine levels are sharply increased by
addictive drugs like cocaine.  It might also explain the strange observation
that smokers have only half the risk of contracting Parkinson's disease, in
which dopamine levels become unusually depressed."

"Nicotine is found to be addictive partly because it stimulates the release
of dopamine as well as other chemical messengers, whereas the new mechanism
delays the breakdown of dopamine."

"'Our results suggest that whatever is inhibiting MAO B levels could be
acting together with nicotine to enhance dopamine's activity by preventing it
from breaking down,' Dr. Joanna S. Fowler , the principal researcher said in
an interview."

"Dr. Koob, an expert in psychopharmacology, said. . .it should not be too
difficult to find the agent in cigarette smoke that depresses the MAO B
enzyme.  Finding this substance and ways to manipulate it could have far
reaching implications not only for cigarette addiction. . . but also for
Parkinson's disease."

We're getting there.  One more piece of the puzzle is falling into place.

Implications:
1)  This work could lead to another pharmacological weapon in the arsenal of
PD treatments.
2)  We have new information about a potential neuroprotective mechanism that
might eventually be used to slow progression and/or delay onset.
3)  The dopamine system is increasingly recognized as a central to many brain
functions.
4)  We have allies in the search for knowledge about the dopamine system
including those who are looking for ways to combat the many varieties of
addictions.
5)  Even at modest levels of funding dopamine system research is yielding
incredible results.

Just think if this research was adequately funded!

Let's pass the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research and Education Act and let
our representatives know how important and valuable this research is to
everyone.

Fund the Research, Find the Cure.

Ken Aidekman