From:   Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of
Sent:   Thursday, February 22, 1996 11:35 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Pain in PD

There have been a number of articles published in the trades on pain in PD.
 This pain is the stomach, chest, arm, etc. most pain except that of cramps
(dystona).  In the articles, pain was resolved by increasing the Sinemet.
 Simple enough but it does the trick.

Now there is another type of pain that is associated with depression.  It is
hard to determine if the pain is a form of depression or a problem in PD.  If
you recall the paper on depression, it said depression is often masked by
chronic and recuurent pain, fatiure, memory loss, sleep problems and sexual
dysfunction.

Dystonia, cramping in the legs and toes, is said to happen either when one is
OFF and has taken meds or one is turning OFF.  It seems to be in the up swing
and the down swing.  No one complains of dystonia when they are ON.  Thus I
will makea guess -- someone who has toe cramps and leg cramps a lot, is most
likely undermedicated.  There is one exception that I know and that is
someone who may be "carbidopa toxic".  This I will explain in another
message.

Regards,
Alan Bonander