>        I didn't know such services were available--when I hear of an
>acquaintance who has suddenly becomea care-giver--I go by their office and
>mail out the brochures.

        My father lives in a small rural county w/three family care
physicians. His own physician is quick to recommend Home Health care (or
Hospice care when needed). Which was a _real_ blessing for my father and my
sisters who live with him, when after a hospital stay for pneumonia last
fall, he arrived home to 1) oxygen; 2) a visiting nurse twice a week; 3) a
physical therapist to help him with exercises for his legs and upper body;
and 4) two lovely bath attendants to help him once a week w/shaving, etc.
(my sisters helping of course for the rest of the week. He was sorry to see
the PT leave, and was quite upset when the nurse told him it was his last
visit, but suffered a *relapse* when the bath attendants told him they would
no longer be coming by! <g>

>Their function is to help people at home and keep them out of nursing homes,
>        This had nothing to do with Gordon's thalomodomies, in case I'm
>scaring anyone.

        My father does not require Home Health Care at this time (although a
little "respite care" is nice for my sisters--that's my job). I admit that
we did NOT realize how important Home Health Care could be on a "temporary"
basis, since our only other experience with such care involved my mother who
was terminally ill.  It's good to know that HHC is also available when, like
in my father's case, the goal is to keep a person out of the *Hospital,* or
to furnish temporary extended care after a hospital visit.

Thanks for your post--and keep sending those flyers!

:)

Joyce Saylor                                            ph. (606) 257-2893
Data Coordinator                                        FAX: 606-323-1061
University of Kentucky                                  [log in to unmask]
College of Law