 TO:   those of us following the Eldepryl Story  -  Multiple recipients of
Listparksn

    Item retrieved  from GRATEFUL MED  28-02-96

   Knoll J
    The pharmaological basis of the beneficial effects of (-)deprenyl
(selegiline) in
    Parkinson's  and Alzheimer's diseases.
    Department of Pharmacology,  S emmelweis University of Medicine,
    Budapest, Hungary.
    Review Article: 67 References
    J Neural Transm Suppl 1993;40:69-91
    Unique identifier:  94125080

    Abstract:    (My"abstract of Abstract' - by quoting pertinent lines.)
       1.  "(-)Deprenyl  (Selegiline, Jumex, Eldepryl, Movergan),
             structurally closely related to phenylethylamine (PEA),  is a
drug with
             a unique pharmacological spectrum.  It is a highly potent and
             selective irreversible inhibitor of B-type monoamine oxidase
(MAO) and
             interferes with the uptake of catecholamines and indirectly
acting
             symphatomimetics..."

       2.  "...Maintenance on (-)deprenyl prevents the characteristic
age-related
            morphological changes in the neuromelanin granules of the
neurocytes
            in the substantia nigra.  As a consequence of its complex
spectrum
            of activity male rats maintained on (-) deprenyl live longer,
 lose their
            capacity to ejaculate later, show improved performance in
learning
            tests and maintain this activity for a longer period,
significantly longer than
            those on levodopa alone."

       3 .",,,Freshly diagnosed patients treated with (-)deprenyl need
 levodopa
            later than their placebo-treated peers.. .."

      4.  "...Continuous administration of (-)deprenly improves the
performance of
            patients with Alxheimer's disease..

           Although we may not fully follow the  mechanisms involved, and
 realize this               is a 1993 paper,  the points delineated are
worthy of consideration and
           discussion with our neurologists before taking precipitous action.

      (Mary Manfredi)  [log in to unmask]