Hello to all, but especially to Patrick and Susan, my cohorts in
collaboration at Inkshed 11.   (Those of us who were there all remember
Inkshed 11, don't we?  Have any of us recovered yet?)  Well, if you
weren't there, you won't realize that Patrick and Susan and I got into a
very in-depth, complex, and scholarly discussion of earthworms.

Well, I have just started leafing through my program, and now I see that
there is a session at the upcoming C's which is devoted to earthworms.
I wish that I were making this up, but I am not.  The session -- L.7 --
is entitled "Earthworms, Dragons, and the Carnival."  The first paper is
called:

        Mind      Earth
        ----  X   -----  =  Earthworm Hermeneutics
       Earth      Mind

Earthworm Hermeneutics.  Who would have ever thought back in those days
-- that day -- around the science lab table at the Hugh John Fisher
Forestry Centre that the topic of our humble (some might even have said
silly) conversation would become an entire discipline in its own right?
Now, one might be tempted to claim (particularly on the basis of the
above equation) that the field will never amount to much, but one might
be wrong, one never knows.  And if one is, one should be sure to tell
one's grandchildren, "One heard it first at Inkshed 11.")

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
Writing Program
University of Michigan-Dearborn