We have a fairly complicated but workable system set up at the U of C.\

The onus is on the student to indicate a need (though instructors are
expected to do their best to spot students who may have a need they
don't recognize.)

A student with an LD will go to the Student Resource Centre as early
as possible, preferably before start of term, and obtain a letter
outlining his/her needs.  (Sometimes this is based on medical evidence
and sometimes it's the SRC's best guess but at least it isn't ad hoc
and doesn't vary from one class to another.)

Each academic unit has a person in charge of booking special exams.
The student discusses arrangements with each prof, fills out and
Academic Accommodation Form, and takes it to the person in charge of
special exams.

Accommodations may range from more time through use of a computer with
spell check to use of a scribe.  Amount of extra time required is
negotiable.  Usually time and a half is sufficient and more simply
results in exhaustion.  It is also possible to split exams and take
them in two session.  The key concept is "whatever works."

This system is not perfect but it's the best we've come up with so
far.

I can send you copies of the rules and regs if you like.

* * * * * *
 Doug Brent
 Director, Undergraduate Programme in Communications Studies
 Director, Effective Writing Programme

 Internet: [log in to unmask]
 Web Page: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dabrent
 Smail:    Faculty of General Studies