     I'm sure Elza Tiner is quite right to see five parties --
initial researchers/editors, in-house editors, external readers,
funding agencies, and publishers -- as being the collective shapers
of our present situation, and to see the relation between the first
three of these and the last two as being fundamentally rhetorical.
As we are all obviously concerned with getting our research
published, we can't ignore such a formulation.  But at the risk of
becoming tiresome I want to repeat my earlier question: what kind of
standards might the people in the first three of these five
categories set for themselves if the fourth and fifth categories
were for the moment left out of the equation?  Do the people in
those first three categories -- We Three -- have a set of standards,
or several sets of standards, that we can articulate and defend as
our very own, apart from the ones imposed on us by funding agencies
and publishers?  Or have the funders and publishers become so much a
part of our scholarly construct that, like victims of the Stockholm
Syndrome, we've allowed their scenario to shape our own?  I'd hope
we can discuss the kinds of important theoretical issues James
Cummings has raised precisely because they are important theoretical
issues; though my actual work may be constrained by my publisher's
contract, my vision of my discipline and its proper parameters
certainly should not be.
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128