However, try as we may to be purists about the ideals of our discipline,
researching records and publishing our selections for our reading
community, ultimately what that reading community sees is filtered--by
those very groups we might wish to eliminate from that vision, our patrons.
Even if we say that we will bypass the publishers and funding agencies,
and go straight to the original documents, led by our interests, in fact,
many documents were produced at the request of authorities who shaped
their existences, such as city chamberlains' and wardens' clerks accounting
methods; heads of families, for whom household accounts were kept, or
for whom accounts of family lineage were compiled, or for whom
"entertaining reading" was written, assembled, illustrated, bound, and
put on display in the patron's library.  Generations of researchers
who pick up documents (in manuscript or printed edition) have had their
expectations shaped by what they see, their prior reading experience,
and some of those readers are among those who will determine what is
acceptable for production when the next edition of documents comes along.

The study of codicology deals with many of these issues, but I
am not an expert in this field.  Perhaps some of the same guidelines used
in that field would inform a study of modern diplomatics research? I recall
that Leonard Boyle's course in Diplomatics at PIMS was very useful; in it we
studied documents, their production, audience, and context; perhaps he
would be someone to consult, for publications and names of others working in
the field.

Thus, I agree that an analysis of records research and publication can be
made, but without all of the five audience groups taken into
consideration, the analysis would be skewed.  (A similar issue
arises every year in my advanced expository writing course at
Lynchburg College, which includes students who claim to
be "creative writers," not writing for audiences beyond those who are
willing to appreciate "creative writing," a Romantic notion that
artistic expression is not to be tainted by commerce, patrons, editors,
or publishers.  One writes for oneself, these students claim, and the
audience will sort itself accordingly.  The extreme opposite view is
that one writes, like journalists (or students), as assigned.)

This kind of work, at both theoretical and practical ends, or "The
Rhetoric of Records Research" could be a fascinating book-length
study.   I hope that someone takes up the project!

Elza C. Tiner
Lynchburg College