        As the discussion continues I would like to thank those who have
put up with and answered my many questions, and encourage them to continue
the discussion into areas which interest them.  John Coldewey is correct that
I would like a 'clear line' through the many highly theoretical as well as
practical issues involved in records research.  Equally though, I recognise
that such a clear line is almost impossible to arrive at, and that the
best contributions may be made when one strays away from the comfort and
security of strong theoretical foundations and follow up more general
information on a gut feeling.  I also thank Andrew Taylor for the reference
to that Speculum article and his thoughts on the convergence of literary
and historigraphical theories when it comes to records research.

Many thanks,
James Cummings

--
<A href="http:[log in to unmask]">
James Cummings, [log in to unmask], English, University of Leeds</A>.