     James Cummings concludes from our methodology discussion so far
that "the best contributions may be made when one strays away from
the comfort and security of strong theoretical foundations" to
follow up more general information on a gut feeling.  I'm in
sympathy with the straying-away part; it seems to me that Anne
Lancashire and Sally-Beth Maclean have both argued, within the
context of REED's work, for the importance of individual initiative
by editors.  But what they describe, and endorse, is a straying-away
from a possibly too literal reading of editorial policy, not from
what a theorist would recognize as a strong theoretical foundation.
Our recent exchanges on the subject of methodology have taught me a
lot about the practicalities of publication and of the need for
pragmatism, but (except for Andrew Taylor's response) I haven't had
much sense that we've been talking about theoretical foundations.  A
properly modern sense of our theoretical foundations would likely
offer nothing resembling the "comfort and security" James Cummings
invokes; probably the opposite.  For the past two weeks I've been
annoying everyone with my questions about whether our discipline has
such a foundation, and if so what it is, but mostly I think the
discussion has been about REED editorial policy.
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128