Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:17:03 -0500 (EST)
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: REED and theory
To: [log in to unmask]

I have been following the discussion started by William Ingram with great
interest, and endorse John Coldewey's suggestion concerning a discussion
(in May 1997) to be organized here at the Kalamazoo Congress. I personally have
lots of trouble with theory as currently fashionable, in part because as an
editor I have seen so much half-digested stuff written by people out there --
stuff which we have of course rejected. When doing records research, it seems
to be that it is important not to put on blinders, and I think that some
practitioners of theory would want precisely that done. Not long ago I reviewed
a book that purported to discuss "Social Struggle" in relation to Renaissance
drama without an adequate grounding in either records or the social background,
though lots of plays were cited. It is easy is such cases for theory to wag the
dog (to mangle a rather trite saying). I would suggest that REED's
old-fashioned historicism with which it started was a good deal more solid than
a good deal of the new historicism that has tried to refashion history, often
along ideological lines. There is a temptation to see what we want to see, and
this is as true of the new historicism and other post-modern (so-called)
approaches as of the old. I have personally found the REED research invaluable
(though I still have a few quibbles about the ignoring of Easter sepulchres and
liturgical drama), and fully believe that the local context is the prime target
of investigation at this time -- the local context with regard to texts,
records, and iconography. This does not mean that we are to have blinders in
looking for answers only on a local level, of course. There is plenty of room
for methodological diversity. And there is plenty of room for a healthy
discussion by a panel with diverse views.

Cliff Davidson
Medieval Institute
Western Michigan University

--Boundary (ID ytI3M6GtYUxBwCkhBcA9OA)--