     Cliff Davidson is absolutely right that there is a great deal
of badly written, badly thought out, pretentious prose currently in
the marketplace masquerading as theory, some of it so narrowly
ideological that it's hard to imagine who would find it persuasive.
Let me recommend Bryan Palmer's book <Descent into Discourse> as a
blunt demolition job on much of that stuff, or Raymond Tallis's <Not
Saussure> as a more measured riposte.  But I don't think we can
impeach theory simply because some people do it badly, any more than
we can impeach archival research on the same grounds.  Some
questions raised by theorists are well worth our attention; we want
to be careful not to discard the baby with the bathwater.  To quote
(badly) John Maynard Keynes, who was of course speaking to fellow
economists:  those who say they don't need theory or who say they
can work perfectly well without theory are simply in the grip of an
older theory.  Cliff's belief in "the local context" as "the prime
target of investigation at this time" makes him, to that extent, a
postmodernist.
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128