Anyone else who has taken part in the discussion on the mediaeval group
Interscripta knows that I am somewhat baffled by applications of literary
theory (or theory drawn from other social sciences) to what appear to me
to be primarily historical problems. That may be part of my difficulty
with discussions of theory in regards to records research but not, I
hope, entirely. I also have to confess that my own training has not at
any point been literary but either linguistic or historical, and in
fact, a fairly old-fashioned type of historical training. It has never
seemed to me that making primary sources available for research purposes
was an activity which required a theoretical justification. At the risk of
being dismissed as a simple positivist yet again, I want to distinguish
two things which we are, it seems to me, confusing here.

First is the methodology which we (using 'we' very broadly to mean the
whole panoply of field editors and REED staff) use to decide what
specific documents or excerpts from documents to collect, transcribe,
edit, and publish in REED volumes. I think there is no shame in the fact
that that methodology has developed in pragmatic ways since we began this
enterprise. We strive to continue to articulate and refine it, not
just in the now-itself-somewhat-historic REED Handbook but collection by
collection in the editorial procedures section of the introduction, in
which each individual editor tries to describe his or her 'take' on the
REED guidelines and the specific situation which records survival and
local history together presented. So long as we continue to clearly
define what has been done and what has not been done and why, I
personally see little need to inform this process theoretically, as
opposed to codicologically!

But what use you as students of theatre history or local history or
mediaeval or renaissance studies make of the REED collections is a very
different matter. That is where theory and a critical underpinning seems
most necessary. What you need from us is, I think, clearly-defined
editorial practices and principles of selection so that you can make use
of the documentary evidence illuminated and guided by theory and
historiography. Ideally the collections will also provide a guide and
finding aid for further and more detailed work with specific manuscripts.
REED's selections of ecclesiatical court cases can tell you a lot about
types of activity and even patterns of activity in specific places at
specific time, but if you want to place that activity within a wider
social context, you need to study the court books in full and in a
different way. It would not be reasonable to expect REED to print a
calendar of all the contents of every court book from which we printed
cases, though. To continue to use Naomi's image: butterfly collecting is a
necessary preliminary to some kinds of entymology and evolutionary
studies, but heaven help the scientist who doesn't bring a deep and
informed knowledge of modern biology and evolutionary theory to bear on
studying that collection or who doesn't go beyond it.

Abigail

Records of Early English Drama/ Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W
Toronto Ontario Canada
Phone (416) 585-4504/FAX (416) [log in to unmask]
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~reed/reed.html => REED's home page
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~reed/reed-l.html => REED-L's home page