C.S. Lewis's essay on 'The Anthropological Approach' would still seem to
me to offer salutary advice on the limitations of anthropology as an aid
to humane studies.  And if Frye was right in calling the social sciences
simply the applied humanities, aren't we in danger of getting the cart
before the horse?  Newman in _The Idea of a University_ would have
argued, I think, that 'butterfly collecting' is, at worst, an innocent
occupation worthy of a rational being; can more be said for the most
rigorously theoretical of academic pursuits?  Besides, anyone who _has_
collected butterflies--or stamps, or anything--in any but the most
desultory way knows that there's more to it than mere accumulation.
Arrangement and description are inevitable, and by definition both
presuppose some kind of analysis and framework, though the very act of
acquisition nearly always works to refine the one and modify the other.
The human mind is by nature not content merely to accumulate data without
trying to make sense of them.  How it does that will depend to some
extent on the individual's training, to some extent on his [NB: used
generically, without apology] bent.

W. G. COOKE