     I'm glad John Coldewey likes the idea of a symposium; but if
one materialized I would hope it would draw participants from beyond
REED's own orbit, and would focus on the larger theoretical issues
being engaged in the current series of postings, which I find most
salutary, rather than being restricted to "addressing the strengths
and weaknesses of REED materials," as he suggests.   The fallout
from a larger discussion would surely be of interest to REED workers,
but I'm not sure it works in the other direction.
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128