At Bob's request, I've rather belatedly forwarded this message from SHAKSPER
list.  Karen Pirnie

From:           Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:           Sunday, 3 Mar 1996 12:43:48 -0600 (CST)
Subject:        Volpone in _Volpone_

I am preparing a short essay on the character Volpone in Ben Jonson's play
_Volpone_.  In the essay, I want to indicate the most important and/or hotly
debated issues concerning this character -- the issues that arise most
frequently in critical discussions and classroom dialogue.  I've already
compiled quite a lengthy list, but I'd be grateful for any further
suggestions.
 One obvious topic, for instance, is what to make of Volpone's punishment at
the end of the play.  Another is the degree to which he is or isn't a
sympathetic or appealing character.  Since many people on this list
undoubtedly
have read, taught, and thought about the play (and seen productions), I
welcome
any feedback. Thanks!  -- Robert C. (Bob) Evans -- [log in to unmask]

PS: Please feel free to forward this query to any other relevant lists.