Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:46:11 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Shakespeare/Goethe Inquiry

March 27, 1996

Dear Friend,

My company, Lion Heart Autographs, Inc., in New York (tel. 212-779-7050) is
currently researching a document written in the hand of Goethe. It is en;
"Aus einem Stammbuch von 1604" ("From an album from 1604) and begins,
"Hoffnung beschwingt Gedanken, Liebe, Hoffnung;/ In klarster Nacht hinauf zu
Cynthien Liebe." (Roughly, and poorly translated that would read something
like: "Hopes winged thoughts, dear hope; In clearest eve rise to Cynthia's
Love.")

Now, at the end of the poem (about eighteen lines) Goethe has written
"Shakespeare". below that he has written "W. (probably Weimar) 16. Apr[il]
1820. Goethe".

We did a preliminary search with the Folger Library in Washington, trying to
track down the word Cynthia -- nothing showed up that would connect this text
with anything that Shakespeare wrote.

Do you have any idea what source Goethe might have been using when he
translated this verse into German? Do you have any suggestions about where I
might go to check further?many thanks for your help!

Sincerely

David H. Lowenherz