     I'm grateful for Sandy Johnson's explanation of the pragmatics
that lie behind REED's editorial decisions; I think all of us who
are familiar with the operation knew or assumed that economic
considerations bulked large.  But I was deliberately trying not to
talk about REED as a specific undertaking; I was trying to follow
James Cummings's lead by opening a discussion centered on
methodological issues in general rather than on the cold economics
of a particularized reality.  I think it's useful and even healthy
for us to explore what we think the parameters of our work might be,
or ought to be, even if we know we can't afford to support the
conclusions we come to.  If we don't do that, then the publishers
dictate the dimensions of our discipline.  Hence my questions about
philosophical positions, about the entailments of records research,
and about the significance of "context", a much abused word.  I'm
still hoping to tempt some people to respond.  Is there, for
example, any point in worrying about whether a particular bit of
evidence is central or tangential to "the discipline", as distinct
from its centrality to our own hobbyhorse of the moment?  Can we
even speak of theatre history as a discipline, or is it merely the
sum total of whatever it is we're all idiosyncratically doing?
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128