Date: Sat, 02 Mar 1996 15:43:49 -0600 (CST)
From: Mayers@VUCTRVAX (Steven E. Mayer)

To Delana Vaughan and anyone else interested: What do we think about the List?
1)First and foremost I have a chronic diesease that will eventually
contribute to my death (I am 67). It is difficult to treat and to evaluate
the effectiveness of drug and surgical treatment. There appears to be a fair
amount of confusion as to what is PD, what we need to learn and how, and to
what extent we can influence the course of the disease. Constitutionally, I
cannot acccept such a situation. Until I retired two years ago I was a
professor and pharmacologist at a medical school for about 40 years. I have
a need to know and to apply that knowledge for the benefit of others.
2) If I can learn enough to feel some confidence in sharing my knowledge and
the fruits of my scientific training, I may be able to help others with the
disease, especially to deal with the frustrations that result from its
complexity and the frequently frightening symptoms.
3) Without contact with others who have Parkinsonism I will be like the
blind men and the elephant. There is no substitute for for learning what we
victims of PD feel about any and all aspects of the disease. I disclaim to
having a wide and deep knowledge,but I hope I can apply what I have and
intend to learn to benefit other PD patients. That is not pure
unselfishness, because I will learn alot about myself by listening to
myself, but mostly to all you others others who who have much more to share
than you realize.
        The best to all
        Steven E. Mayer

Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.