In July and September 1994, /I had these two operations done at the Royal
Nofth Shore Hospital in Sydney Australia.One to the left and one to the
right side of the brain. Prior to the operations  I had uncontrollable
movements of both arms, and suffered severe  leg cramps
from 3am until it was time for the 1st dose of sinemet.  During the first
op, I developed severe cramps in the legs and had to be restrained   on the
operating table; cramps were a result of delaying the first dose of the day.
so the surgeon coud see the result of the stimulation ( by the probe) it
was interesting during the operation as you are very much part of the
action. The surgeon was looking for a specific response from me ie. tingling
of the right hand; there was no mistaking it when he found it. The computer
was then  told to control the incision and the brain impulses no longer went
where they shouldn't. In the recovery room I can remember looking at my now
stationary right arm with tears of joy rolling down my face.
The next 3 months were hell, as I couldn't get the dose anywhere  near
right;    What was ok for the right side was not suitable for the left. The
second op fixed this. The "only" complication during this op was a "Grand
Mal" seizure which delayed the operation for a few days; I dont remember any
of it, and there was no pain during either op( except when the frame was
being screwed to my head)
        How am I now? still no shakes in either arm, and no bad cramps;
although I get tightness in the lower legs and toes splaying, which wakes me
up. I have off periods about every two hours and have difficulty with speech
and walking at these times. Would I have the operations again? if given a
second chance? I certainly would. I have had Parkinsons Disease for about 20
years. I hope this is helpful to those contemplating having the operation.

Philip Dunn