---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Sleeping aids
Date:    96-03-06 21:24:06 EST
From:    JDalby5
To:      [log in to unmask]

Hi,

I am a new member and daughter of a Parkisonian.  My mom is 74 and was
diagnosed 9 years ago.  She began suffering from dementia two years ago and
has steadily become more confused.  It has been heartbreaking for my 3
sisters and I and my dad to see our University Professor mother change so
much.  Our biggest problem is sleeping
at night.  She can not sleep at night and wishes to get out of bed.  However,
her disease makes her diffusely stiff and unable to walk.  She also becomes
more confused and somewhat agitated.  Periodically we have had to have people
come in to help so we could get some uninterrupted sleep. We have tried
Benadryl, Restoril, Ambien, Klonopin and Xanax but they have not helped and
only added to her confusion.   One neuologist said she should not have any
benzodiazepines or Benadryl.  She takes 8 Sinemet 25/100, a Sinemet CR at
bedtime, 6 Permax .25 mg, Pamelor 25 mg, an aspirin and Levoxine (for
thyroid) a day.  Has anyone used the natural herb Melatonin or any other drug
successfully?   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have enjoyed your messages.  There is a wealth of knowledge out there and
there is power in knowledge;  there is strength in numbers.
Thank you.

Pam Dalby ([log in to unmask])