I want to warn you, this is a trip into depression.
It started when I came home and found my car was missing.
I had not driven it because the driver's seat had collapsed
and I could no longer get out of it. The car was ordered
towed by the apartment management as inoperable (yes, I had
let the inspection and plates expire). The car is ten years old
and what with and new battery, storage, new seat, cost of getting
it out of the pound, the car would cost more than I could get for
it in trade. So, I had pretty much descided to let it go.
I woke up this morning and realized that with the car went a big
chunk of my independance. True, we have a van that is doing fine,
but I cannot get into or out of it by myself (I can drive it once
I'm in it). The thing is that I now have to depend on others to
get to work and home again. I am less mobil, less independant.
It felt too much like when I lost the ability to walk 40 odd years
ago.
The slide into the pits of depression was rapid and sudden.
I started feeling less valuable, less whole, less able. If I could not
"do" for myself, why continue to try? Why live? I began wishing
I could just give it all up and crawl into somewhere dark and
warm where there was no more pain, shaking, pills, dependance,
lack of ability to do things. Toward the end I was mumbling about
giving up and dying. What pulled me out of it?
Two things. Kristen, my wife, said she needed me. Second, there is
this part of me that just won't let me quit. This part of me just
won't let me stop trying. So I'm still in there swinging.
I running on a few less cylinders but I'm still functioning.
Perhaps, maybe, there is indeed more than one reason for continuing to
try. Kristen, cats, friends, and things I can still do.
So I'm still here. A little more frayed around the edges, a little
more in tune with what's "real", and still marveling at that
stuborn little spark that has once again taken me by the whatsis and
said "You will not stop trying, you will not give up. I won't let
you".

A rather shaken, Marvin
http://rampages.onramp.net/~mgiles/