  We found a little more information on NS 2214, the new
medication Anne Rutherford wrote about last week. I'll
reprint some of the articles:

Source: Reuters
Date: Jan. 17, 1996
Headline: Bristol-Myers, NeuruSearch in drug pact
Dateline: Princeton, NJ, Jan 17
   Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.. and NeuroSearch A/S of
Denmark said Wednesday that they signed an agreement to
develop an oral compound for the treatment of Parkinson's
Disease.
   The collaboration gives Bristol-Meyers Squibb exclusive
rights to develop and market the compound worldwide except
in Scandanavia, the Baltics and Japan...
  Neurosearch will receive up-front and milestone
payments up to $29 million in addition to royalties,
the companies said.
   A Phase I clinical trial of the compound has been
completed in the U.K. and Phase II studies are expected
to begin in the first quarter of 1996.
   The compound, a modulator of the dopamine transporter
protein is also known as a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor,
was discovered by NeuroSearch scientists, the companies
said."

  Much of the same information was repeated in other
articles, but I'm reprinting sections of the following:

Source: BIOWORLD Today
Vol. 7, no. 12, Jan. 18, 1996
Headline: Bristol-Myers Squibb to pay NeuroSearch up
to $29M for new Parkinson's drug.
by Charles Craig
   "Officials of Denmark based NeuroSearch A/S said
pharmaceutical companies started inquiring about their
new anti-Parkinson's disease compound after animal
studies showed it could reverse the disorder's
symptons without causing a major side effect (dyskinesia)
brought on by current treatments.
   ...(Jorgen Buss (president and CEO) said
NeuroSearch's compound is a dopamine re-uptake
inhibitor, which enhances the effectiveness of a patient's
naturally occurring dopamine. Normally, after the
neurotransmitter delivers its message to the nerve
cells, the dopamine is recycled. "If you block the
neuronal uptake of the substance, you have more
dopamine," Lassen told BioWorld Today. "We enhance the
natural release of dopamine."
   Bristol-Myers is expected to launch Phase II
trials of NS 2214 in Europe during the first quarter
of 1996."

   I have 2 questions. Does anyone know more about
how a re-uptake inhibitor works? It sounds like
you'd need to have a certain amount of naturally
occurring dopamine in order for it to work. Also,
can someone explain the different phases in clinical
drug trials? Thanks.
Linda Herman