Barbara has been hospitalized for the third time in two months. First for a
colon resection, then an abdominal blockage with subsequent release after 12
days with a hoped for natural self-correction. But that failed and back for
more aggressive treatment: surgery.

The surgery went fine, but what ensued could be used as a comedy script were
it for the seriousness and frustrating aspect of the situation.  This is
summarized as 'speak softly but carry a big stick'. Even though Barb is nurse
and I am a research chemist (both retired) and a former enlisted medic, we
had a hard time with maintaining control in caring and medication.

This note is to caution the group again  to be assertive in this situation.
 Heed the advice from Dr. Mitchell Mills posted here on 4 Dec. 1995:
'The bottom line is: it is just not safe to sit back and assume that all will
be
done correctly.  It is necessary that we be strong advocates for ourselves
and our loved ones.'

But do not antagonize the staff as my policy has always been not to insult
the alligator until you have crossed the river.  Good luck.