Subject: melatonin (long)

The following is from the University of California at Berkeley Wellness Letter
of March 1996.

"Imagine a world without any drug regulations.  Among other things, estrogen
and testosterone would be sold over the counter, and you'd figure out your
own dosage.  These hormones would be advertised as natural substances that
would keep you young, improve your sex life, strengthen your bones, build
muscle, prevent cancer, and boost your IQ by several points.  Claims would
be made for improved sleep, effortless weight loss, thicker hair, and a better
golf game.

"Risks and side effects would go umentioned.  If these hormones caused disease
instead of preventing it, that would be your problem.  There'd be no way
of knowing whether the pills in the bottle actually contained any estrogen
or testosterone, or whether they might be contaminated with other substances,
or whether you actually would absorb enough of whatever was in the pill to
do anything at all.

"This, in effect, is the world of melatonin. . . .

"Amid all this, a few cautious voices have hardly been heard.  The French and
British governments have banned sales of melatonin; in Canada it is available
by prescription only. . . .

"Maybe melatonin will prove to be all that its boosters claim. . . . But you
needn't act as a guinea pig for the supplements industry, which is
outrageously stretching the truth to call a human hormone a `dietary
supplement' in the first place.  We don't recommend that you take melatonin.
Who knows if the pills you buy are melatonin anyway?"

[any typos are mine; sorry; I can't edit in this mode]

I know melatonin seems to be helping many in the PD community, and in many
cases things have reached the point that we WANT to be guinea pigs--we'll try
anything that shows promise of helping.  I thought it would be worth posting
this caveat anyway.

Joanne Sandstrom