Hi,

I've been lurking around this listing for several weeks now, so I guess I
should introduce myself - I'm 47, symptomatic since 41, formally diagnosed 3
years ago. Primary symptoms are severe tremor, weakness, and walking
problems (all confined to the left side at present - fortunately I'm right
handed); together with the typical insomnia, depression, drooling, etc. that
most of us aparently have.

I have a somewhat different perspective on PD than many others on this list
because my father was diagnosed with PD when I was an infant (1950) - I grew
up watching him progress through to "end stage" PD before he died in 1983.
He underwent cryosurgery in 1961 (I'm not sure of the hospital ?New York?
the doctor, or even what the operation was called anymore) to treat his
right side, but he never regained full function (Things were rather crude
back then).  For the last 10 years of his life my sister, aunt, myself, and
visiting nurses tried to keep him as independant as possible in his home (he
refused to live anywhere else).  His final medications included artane,
simetryl, and L-Dopa.

I have a son (20) - Obviously I am very interested in any info anyone has
relative to genetics & PD - I've read all I can find, but it's not clear to
me what I should tell him - I'd really like to talk to any PD's out there
with PD in their family background.

Thanks for being here.

Charlie Anjard;  Lancaster, PA, USA; 47/6
                         Always remember:

  When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
        that the original objective was to drain the swamp!!