Awareness 1996

Awareness is what we are all about, we want the world to know
The bandwagon is rolling, grab your coat, come on let's go.
Your chance to make a difference, your chance for the world to hear about
some very important people. . .about our dreams, about our fears.
Dopamine deficiency is our problem, I usually call it my PD.
Each one of us can contribute, (there are a million ways you see).
Find the things that you do best: (try to think at least of three).
Goals you will set, time you will give.  Success is seldom free.
Health care is of special interest, " Hear us" is our plea.
will they Increase research funding to find a cure for our PD?

Join in and tell your story, tell "How Parkinson's affects me".
Keep telling it over and over, tell it everywhere you go. . .
Legislators, lobbyists, the public, most don't really know.
    Tell them about the challenges, about the dreams you've set      aside.
     (Parkinson's is part of us, it is something we can't hide.)
      Tell them what will help us, tell them research is our dream.
      Tell them about my tomorrow.  Ask them to join our team.

Mark Hatfield honored Mo Udall as he introduced the bill.
Now we must lobby those in Congress to get appropriations from the hill.
Opportunity is knocking, don't let it slip away.
Parkinson's can be conquered. . .why not make that vow today?
Quality of life is what we are seeking. . .to ease the burdens our families
share.
Research dollars may be a problem.
Responsibility we may shun.
Someone must tell the story.  Someone?
Somewhere, Somehow,
Tell your story to all who will listen.
(There is no better time than now.)
United in this effort we will move forward.
Victims we are not going to be.
We have all had our moments of darkness.
(we have probably all asked "Why me?")
X-rays, consultants, drug trials are like things that go bump in the night.
Yet our families are still here beside us; together, we will fight.
Zero is not what we are after, we will try in every way we can.
Working together, we all help each other. . .that's why Joan founded PAN.

Would you like to make a difference? Leave your mark upon the land?
We have seized an opportunity to solve a problem, won't you lend a hand?
We need support for research, it is the only hope we have.
It takes dollars, dedication, perseverence (you wouldn't believe).
This isn't like a magic show, the answer isn't hiding up my sleeve.
I could tell you where to find the answer, but already you know where. . .
Research holds the answer. . .lack of funding keeps it there.
It is as illusive as tomorrow, the answer to our prayers.
Is the only thing we can leave behind the bill for our long term care?

The bandwagon is rolling,
                        grab your coat. . .come on, let's go!
This is your chance to make a difference. .
                       Your chance for the world to know.
                                                    Rita Weeks 1996