>Barbara has been hospitalized for the third time in two months. First for a
>colon resection, then an abdominal blockage with subsequent release after 12
>days with a hoped for natural self-correction. But that failed and back for
>more aggressive treatment: surgery.
>
>The surgery went fine, but what ensued could be used as a comedy script were
>it for the seriousness and frustrating aspect of the situation.  This is
>summarized as 'speak softly but carry a big stick'. Even though Barb is nurse
>and I am a research chemist (both retired) and a former enlisted medic, we
>had a hard time with maintaining control in caring and medication.
>
>This note is to caution the group again  to be assertive in this situation.
> Heed the advice from Dr. Mitchell Mills posted here on 4 Dec. 1995:
>'The bottom line is: it is just not safe to sit back and assume that all will
>be
>done correctly.  It is necessary that we be strong advocates for ourselves
>and our loved ones.'
>
>But do not antagonize the staff as my policy has always been not to insult
>the alligator until you have crossed the river.  Good luck.

I learned that when Fuad had his stroke last summer.  First of all, the
medication they gave him to reduce the inflamation of the brain caused his
blood pressure to go over 200 and yet it wasn't until I mentioned it that
they noticed the correlation between the spiking and medication.  I spent
two sleepless days and nights until they did stop the medication.
Throughout the 10 days in intensive care and 3 weeks in the rehab center I
had to watch to make sure his medicines were given at the correct times.
They kept changing them on me.  The staff was wonderful and kind.  The
neurologist and neurosurgeon were tops.  The internist went to battle with
the insurance company when they wanted Fuad released 1000 miles from home
and it took two nurses to left him out of bed (insurance companies are
another story).  We felt that God had protected us by allowing the stroke to
happen so close to that hospital in St. Louis.

The staff knew what they were doing but every patient is different and we
can't afford to generalize with a PD patient.  Everyone with PD is
especially "unique".

Barbara CG and Fuad PD 60 - 3+