---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 96 15:59:08 CST
From: Gerald Pierson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Welcome

Barbara,                          March 12, 1996

My aunt has recently been diagnosed with PD and I wanted to learn as much
as I can.  My interest lies in the nutrition side of the disease.  I am a
chemist by training and I am currently a researcher in the Department of
Horticulture at the University of Minnesota.  I currently work on plant
hormones.  I also have done some research on bone formation, including
aluminum toxicity.  I am by no means an expert in either area but I do
understand some of the problems researchers go through to find answers.

I was wondering if anyone has done any clinical studies looking at
fatty acids in the diet.   Or if any one in the group has done a
survey looking at the diet, specifically at fatty acid intake?   Since the
human diet has increasingly changed over the last few decades to more
hydrogenated fats, I would think this must play a significant role in the
progression of the disease.   If I were to make a diet suggestion for all
humans it would be to limit saturated fats and increase the diet in
something like flax seed which is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids(oils).
The only problem is that these oils degrade so they must be properly
processed and stored so as not to destroy the stucture of the molecules.
Most good health food stores carry flax seeds, oil, and/or meal.  It sure
would be a simple solution if all we had to do is alter our diets to slow
the disease.

Later,
 Gerald (Jerry) Pierson ([log in to unmask])