We are engaged in an Experimental Surgery struggle with our insurance
company over my wife's recent pallidotomy and are trying to learn exactly
what qualifies a surgical procedure as experimental or not.  One condition
claimed by the insurance company is whether a procedure is "approved by
the AMA as a Standard Practice."

Does anyone know if the AMA approves surgical procedures in any way,
and if so, where one could look for such approvals or a list of
procedures that are approved for standard practice?

Other useful information would be citations to articles in the
"authoritative medical or scientific literature" (insurance contract
language) that refer to pallidotomy as being either an experimental or
a standard procedure for Parkinson's Disease.

Many thanks for this or any other information or advice that might be
useful with this appeal.

  Erv Schroeder              [log in to unmask]