At 05:33 AM 3/6/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Is there anyone - other than Ron Reiner - on the list who takes only
>Permax.  If so, I would be very interested to hear their experiences,
>since I am considering trying it myself.

I was originally put on a cogentin, edepryl,permax combination when I proved
to be intollerant to sinemet.  My PD symptoms are restricted to my left
side, primarilly severe tremor, loss of ballance, weakness, insomnia, etc,
but none of the muscle rigidity (yet) that others complain of.
Experimentation with various combinations and dosages to determine
side-effect/benefit profiles produced the following observationswhen I was
on Permax alone:

1) A very gradual build-up was necessary to reach a theraputic dosage of
3mg/day,  with severe nausea/morning vomiting along the way.  Once the full
dosage was reached, nausea diminished and eventually stopped altogether, but
would return full force if more than 2-3 doses were missed. (Don't let your
prescription run out!!)

2) Beneficial effects were noticible, but mostly confined to improving my
response to other meds - for me, Permax alone did very little.

3) Side effects (after getting through the nausea) were dramatic - cognitive
capabilities were reduced, inability to concentrate, insomnia++++, inability
to control a tendancy to fall asleep at anytime of the day (2 car accidents
and several near misses), lack of ambition - my whole personality changed.
I'd go to work, doze through most of the day, go home, vegitate in front of
the tube, go to bed, and not be able to sleep.

End result - after almost 1 year on Permax (or various combinations
including Permax) I stopped taking it altogether - this was not an easy
decision because if I ever have to go back on it I guess I can look forward
to 2-3 months of vomiting and nausea!  Although the tremors are more severe
without it, mentally I am back to my old self - needless to say I am not a
Permax fan, but many people have better experiences than I.

Good Luck!

Charlie Anjard; Lancaster, PA;  47/6

                         Always remember:

  When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
        that the original objective was to drain the swamp!!