Article 3 of 3

I love this - a warm fuzzy techno story.

Janet

the frangipani trees are still bare, too

Irish setter dials 911, saves owner's life

Copyright ) 1996 Nando.net Copyright ) 1996 Reuter Information Service

BOSTON (Mar 13, 1996 1:27 p.m. EST) - An Irish setter named Lyric is
the toast of Nashua, New Hampshire, after saving its owner's life on
Tuesday by calling the 911 emergency number and barking for help to
dispatchers.

Judi Bayly, who suffers from a sleep disorder complicated by asthma,
said she owed her life to her 8-year-old specially trained dog after
she stopped breathing in her sleep when her oxygen mask became
unplugged.

Lyric, alerted by an alarm attached to Bayly's oxygen machine, tried
to wake her. When that failed the dog ran to the telephone, knocked
the receiver off the hook and pressed a pre-programmed button that
dialed 911.

Lyric barked into the handset, activating automatic call tracing and
flashing Bayly's address and medical history onto a dispatcher's
computer screen. It also noted that Bayly had a trained medical dog to
help her in emergencies.

An emergency medical team rushed to Bayly's home and quickly revived
her. "She absolutely saved my life," Bayly, 44, told the Boston Globe.
"Lyric isn't really a dog per se. She's a person with a fur coat."

Lyric had been trained to respond to the alarm and performed a similar
feat about two months ago after Bayly stopped breathing. "She does it
because she loves me," Bayly told the Boston Herald.

-----Janet [log in to unmask]